Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Vincent Van Gogh (HCMC Vietnam)

Seen his "Starry Night" quite sometime back.And the 12 sunflowers.(heard there is 14 sunflower as well, pardon me, i m not that arty)I thought Starry better though. If you find the name familiar, he is the one ah. Shoot himself in the chest, with a pistol and died two days after. This chap is almost as famous for his mental instability as for his vivid paintings.

2nd encounter was in Vietnam. Mark told me about his Abisinthe story in Q bar. Here you go!
On the evening of 23 December 1888 Van Gogh is said to have consumed 1 glass of Abisinthe, which got him drunk. Later that evening Van Gogh returned to the "Yellow House" in Arles where he lived and mutilated himself. Holding the open razor in his right hand, he had sliced through his left ear; starting high at the back and hacking downwards so that all the lower part of the ear had been chopped off. This had left part of the upper ear still attached as a hideous flap of flesh. Van Gogh, then wrapped the ear in cloth and made his way to a favourite brothel where he presented this "present" to a prostitute.

(source: Van Gogh: His Life and Art by David Sweetman)

Lay my eyes on Abis

Mark got that. I wet my lips with it. I think its POTENT. He finished it. But he looked OK to me. Aiya, he is the DRINKER type lo.
Drinker type.
FYI. If you are thinking about Abisinthe now, forget it. Its banned in Singapore. But Sher said that they have it at AUVERS, Paris. They sold it in miniatures. :)
Good new, I found my MaTeeSu that I got from KL the other day. Soooo happy!

No comments: